You Think You See, But You Have No Idea

My photo
Jasper, Alabama, United States

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Stop throwing it up in my face, I know I'm hearing impaired.

My RLS is better. Turns out my iron is extremely low, it was causing my RLS to act up. I have to go to the hospital soon and have an iron infusion. Ugg.

Right now, I'm having a bit of a pity me moment. I'm so disgusted...
Sometimes being hearing impaired just pisses me off. I hate when I can't hear. I hate that other people assume that I have hearing aids and it fixes it all. Hearing aids are a beautiful thing, but they are not a fix all, they are not like glasses. You don't just put them on and every things fixed! This weekend at work, being hearing impaired SUCKED. We have a new district manager. (We'll call her The Queen). One of the first things she did was turn up the music in our restaurant. It has a dial that goes from 1-10, we keep it on 4 max. The Queen turned it up to 8! It sounded like a bar. It makes feel vulnerable like a helpless child a bit panic stricken. It also makes me feel like I'm being judged as less than intelligent because I can't hear. Then the next night, BAM right in my face again. I tried to work in the kitchen, and that just about sent me over the edge. HELLOO! WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH ME JUST A LITTLE HERE PEOPLE! Give me just a bit of understanding and consideration. ARE THERE ANY ADVANTAGES TO BEING HEARING IMPAIRED IN THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY?!? The answer is NO!

1 comment:

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Oh, that is terrible. I wouldn't be able to function with music blasting at level 8. I wonder if you could have approached her and said it was giving you a headache. I know how insensitive people can be about hearing loss and turning things around to be that we are the ones with the problem. Hang in there, my thoughts are with you.
Sarah